[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6941) Mission Orders

To: a-l@xxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6941) Mission Orders
From: "Raimar Falke" <i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 01:40:19 -0800

On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 07:34:53AM -0800, ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> The biggest benefit from mission order is that i only have to think 1
> time about what to do with a unit.
>
> Examples
>
> a) Going to a city with a caravan to establish traderoute.
> (g r in mission order)
> What is the benefit from doing goto 1 turn and "establish traderoute" 5
> turns later. (At the start of a turn)
>
> b) Building a city at a marked spot.
> (g b in mission order)
>
> You have handle the settler twice.
>
> c) Return to recover
> (r s - or r alone)
>
> A nearly dead unit reaches a city, what is the benefit from pressing s
> and additional time?
>
> d) gotoroutes for citiesi for the future
>
> Like in empire deluxe all build units have to move to a certain point of
> the map.
>

> All is micromanagement which should be done from the computer.

I agree. But this doesn't implicate that it should be done at the
server.

> > If you want Mission orders for the purpose of ease of playing, they can be
> > done client-side-only, but this is harder work and goes in the direction of
> > client scripting, probably (which I'm in favor for).
>
> Client-side scripting has some drawbacks. The biggest is that when the
> client crashes or disconnects all orders are removed.
> Saving loading of game-states doesn't work.

Server side scripting has also drawbacks:
 - makes the server more complex than necessary
 - needs support in the network protocol (has to change if some new
 sub-feature is added)
 - unfair for players which doesn't use scripting

How common are client disconnects?

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "These download files are in Microsoft Word 6.0 format. After