[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6941) Mission Orders

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6941) Mission Orders
From: "Arnstein Lindgard" <a-l@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 10:13:18 -0800

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 02:02:25 -0800 Raimar Falke wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 09:28:29AM -0800, Arnstein Lindgard wrote:
> > However, with server implemented Mission Orders, the unit need only
> > send one packet to the client, containing the new activity after the
> > goto. As opposed to first sending "idle", waiting for client to
> > respond, then sending update back, for each unit.
>
> So wouldn't it be better if the server supports more advanced orders
> like:
>   goto (x,y)
>   if there is an enemy in the adjacent tiles:
>     attack
>   else:
>     fortify
> ?

IMO that would be a distinct new level of automation. In the war
client, there is one (and only one) special case that resembles this:

When using "mission order: Unload" for a transporter, and the
transported units are members of an Army Group, they will
automatically go ashore and start moving towards their target area,
and, if that group has the "aggression" flag, they may kill something
on their way there, or capture empty cities. All the player did was
"G + U + click". I understand perfectly well if people object to
putting this in the server, but I think the discussion can wait till
the Battlegroups patch, which comes after the Mass Orders patch.

Currently, my mission orders are limited to the simple actions from
the Orders menu. It is a slightly expanded "ACTIVITY_*" enumerate.

- One case is worth special attention, mission order: Autoattack.
  Autoattack is only executed at the end of the turn anyway, so this
  does not add the extra level of automation. Furthermore, in the
  case of long range gotos, the mission order is executed in the
  server from end_turn() [via update_unit_activities(), after AI
  stuff, so before the enemy has time to react manually] but **after
  the Auto-attack phase**. So the current implementation should not
  give you an extra attack or something like that.

- Diplomat _actions_ are not mission orders, only Sentry, Fortify etc.

And I didn't embed python programs in the goto route packet. :-)

Arnstein