[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6941) Mission Orders

To: a-l@xxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6941) Mission Orders
From: "Raimar Falke" <i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 01:29:20 -0800

On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 10:51:51AM -0800, Arnstein Lindgard wrote:

> Feature: Delayed execute Orders in combination with Goto.
>
> Compile:
> - Apply Delta 16 to current cvs.
> - Apply deltamissions.diff.
> - Run python packet generator.
> - Untar gfx.tar.gz into the source tree.
> - Run autogen.
>
> I'm posting the patch itself to the list to avoid data corruption.
>
> Usage:
> - Key "G" for goto.
> - Key Mission Order.
> - Click on destination.
> - Order is executed when unit arrives at destination.
>
> Unlike the war client, mission orders are now executed proper in the
> server. It would be a good thing if someone more familiar with the
> server code than me approved of this. I have reasonably exhaustive,
> exact and explicit comments. Most of the sizyness of my diff is for
> the client, reordering and modifying the gtk[12] menu setup.
>
> This patch is fundamental to my further unit logistics work,
> and I would prefere to commit as soon as possible.
>
> Its usefulness can be augmented by Mass Orders:
> - "Make all Armors that were produced this turn goto Rome and
>   automatically Sentry when they get there, so that they can be
>   loaded by a transporter." with just one extra keypress.
>
> Or conceivably:
> - "Area select a bunch of cities and order them to produce units that
>   will automatically goto Rome and automatically Sentry for transporter
>
> With unit groups assignment you could ultimately have practically
> autonomous regions.
>
> AI mission orders is not supported.

I'm not sure about the generalization here. If I unterstood you the
patch add a mini-program of the form:
 1) goto (x,y)
 2) execute action foobar
??

Now one could design a more flexible program. But this is IMHO all
very unfair since these programs are all executed in the server and so
the player which uses these programs more gets the more quick
execution of their actions.

I'm not sure if your patch already has this unfairness.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "Just because you put a flag on the moon doesn't make it yours, it just