[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Python?

To: "Freeciv-Dev" <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Python?
From: "Brandon J. Van Every" <vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 04:48:58 -0800

From: Raimar Falke [mailto:i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
> Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
> >
> > Yes, they do.  But I should be clear: my codebase for my game, Ocean
> > Mars, is C++.  I haven't integrated Python because that project is
> > currently on hold.
>
> But you are suggesting it for freeciv?

Yes... you should realize, my "Ocean Mars" code is a 3D engine
attempting to display 1.6 million hexes on a spherical icosahedron at 60
FPS using a GeForce2.  It was rather too ambitious for pushing cycles,
and that's why I've more recently turned to 2D games and higher level
language approaches like Python.  Your GUI doesn't have anything like
the performance demands I had in mine.  I decided, "Hm, I'd better back
off on this 3D graphics waste-of-time stuff, and just prototype some
game design ideas on a much simpler map."  Ergo, I go off looking for
open source projects like Freeciv or Xconq.

Cheers,                         www.indiegamedesign.com

"Desperation is the motherfucker of Invention." - Robert Prestridge