[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Python?

To: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Python?
From: "Brandon J. Van Every" <vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 02:42:02 -0800

Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Nov 2003, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
> > Has anyone ever been interested in making the Freeciv code OO, i.e.
> > migrating away from C by gradual, hodgepodge methods?
>
> Yes, occasionally. No, it won't happen. We like C and dislike
> hodgepodge.

Not to dissuade you... but are you being honest when you say you like C,
as opposed to modern languages?  I always have a hard time wrapping my
brain around the idea that in 2003, there are application developers who
really feel this way.  Kernel gurus, device driver jocks, ok.  But app
developers??

> Yes, and there is a patch... somewhere. Not very likely that
> anything like
> it will go in in the short term (meaning next 6 months). I don't think
> anyone is working on it anymore.

It sounds like Python was available for a time.  Any idea why it didn't
take?  Do you guys *really* like C or something?  :-)

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

Taking risk where others will not.