[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Python?

To: "Brandon J. Van Every" <vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Python?
From: Raimar Falke <i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 14:03:41 +0100

On Sat, Nov 22, 2003 at 02:42:02AM -0800, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
> Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> > On Fri, 21 Nov 2003, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
> > > Has anyone ever been interested in making the Freeciv code OO, i.e.
> > > migrating away from C by gradual, hodgepodge methods?
> >
> > Yes, occasionally. No, it won't happen. We like C and dislike
> > hodgepodge.
>
> Not to dissuade you... but are you being honest when you say you like C,
> as opposed to modern languages?  I always have a hard time wrapping my
> brain around the idea that in 2003, there are application developers who
> really feel this way.  Kernel gurus, device driver jocks, ok.  But app
> developers??

YES a language war!!!!

My opinion: freeciv is OO. C is good language in general for its age
and acceptable for freeciv. "Migrating away" is only possible if C++
is the target. And we all know that C++ is a bad target ;)

If freeciv should be (re)written in a "modern" language I would do a
complete rewrite. However there aren't any real good alternatives:
 - java is very resource hungry
 - python isn't suited for projects of this size
 - c++ is just ugly by its C inheritance, not many real advantages (no
 GC, no class library, ...) and has too many pitfalls

You can compensate the disadvantage of java with more (modern)
hardware. So it would be my first choice.

If there are any other alternatives please tell me.

See also OpenCiv (http://www.serc.rmit.edu.au/~rob/openciv.html) which
you may call the the _Father_ of Freeciv.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "Sit, disk, sit. Good boy. Now spin up. Very good. Here's a netscape