[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Python?

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Python?
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 13:21:48 +0000 (GMT)

> On Sat, Nov 22, 2003 at 02:42:02AM -0800, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
> > Not to dissuade you... but are you being honest when you say you like C,
> > as opposed to modern languages?

No, I'm lying through my teeth ;-)

Actually, I like C. It is simple, elegant and ...

Well, at least it is simple and elegant. That can't be said for a lot of
other languages. Like C++.

Java. You know, I once... Ok, everyone has probably heard my tell that one
a few times already. Java is slow.

If I had unlimited time and money, I'd rewrite Freeciv in Ruby. That's one
piece of fine art cloaked as a programming language. And powerful to boot.

But then, if you have been living under a rock and haven't you heard
(http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000069.html), rewriting
programs from scratch is just soooo 90's. It is no longer fashionable. Or
something.

> > I always have a hard time wrapping my
> > brain around the idea that in 2003, there are application developers who
> > really feel this way.

Don't change a winning tea^M^M^Mlanguage.

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003, Raimar Falke wrote:
> You can compensate the disadvantage of java with more (modern)
> hardware. So it would be my first choice.

Can you imagine running pubserver with a bunch of java'd civservers? Each
with its own virtual machine and GC bloated memory space? The memory
requirements for that server!!

> If there are any other alternatives please tell me.

C#?

It does look good.

  - Per