[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Python?

To: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Python?
From: "Brandon J. Van Every" <vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 05:51:37 -0800

Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> If I had unlimited time and money, I'd rewrite Freeciv in
> Ruby. That's one
> piece of fine art cloaked as a programming language. And
> powerful to boot.

If you like Ruby, why wouldn't you be willing to use Python?  They
aren't all that different.

> But then, if you have been living under a rock and haven't you heard
> (http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000069.html), rewriting
> programs from scratch is just soooo 90's. It is no longer
> fashionable. Or something.

This is why I suggested "hodgepodge" OO.  A gradual migration, one
object at a time.  Nobody has time for complete rewrites.

> Don't change a winning tea^M^M^Mlanguage.

I suppose it depends on if you feel like you can accomplish all your
tasks easily in C.  Also, whether it's really that big a deal to do a 2
language approach.  I think people tend to think of languages in
catastrophic, all-or-nothing terms.  Actually, embedding Python and
starting to use it "here and there" as it is useful, is quite a doable
proposition.

> > If there are any other alternatives please tell me.
>
> C#?
>
> It does look good.

Well, it's C++ made sane, and it'll be the preferred language for
Windows GUI work for the forseeable future.  It is probably more
likeable than Java.  For platform independent stuff - AIs, game design
stuff, general infrastructure - I doubt it's as likeable as Python.

C# isn't as interesting as .NET interop, and the possibility of Mono
compatibility.  If only there were a true Python .NET interop... it's
sorta faked right now.

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

Taking risk where others will not.