[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Python?

To: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Python?
From: "Brandon J. Van Every" <vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 05:59:29 -0800

From: Alan Schmitt [mailto:alan.schmitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
> Brandon J. Van Every (vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> >
> > Not to dissuade you... but are you being honest when you
> > say you like C, as opposed to modern languages?
>
> How about going all the way to a really modern language (with a good
> generational GC, type inférences, objects, first class functions, and
> pattern matching). There are several of them, my favorite is Ocaml.

True... it's hard for me to fathom why in 2003, people would stick with
C "for everything."  There are so many more interesting languages that
are available for free, are readily embeddable, are quite portable, and
constitute a better fit to certain problem domains.  For instance, rapid
prototyping.  Python is merely one of the better known choices, with
more support than a lot of the other ones.

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

Taking risk where others will not.