[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Python?

To: Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Brandon J. Van Every" <vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Freeciv-Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Python?
From: Stepan Roh <stepan@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 11:30:38 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003, Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa wrote:

> Ever wondered why there are no meaningful programs written in Java? Ever
> seen a web browser, word processor, etc written in it in wide use?
>
> No, just servlets and that kind of cruft. I remember Limewire (P2P
> program) was Java based and most people avoided it like the plague. It was
> hardly a complex program.

This is a bit OT, but this kind of FUD starts to be boring. I'm
professional Java programmer, I'm writing very large projects in Java
(hundreds and hundreds of thousands LOC). I wrote several projects where
speed was important or GUI had to be done. There was no problem with it.

The reason why no wide-spread programs are written in Java is simply
because there is no reason. Get for example word processors: we have
plenty of them, some are good, some are not. Why would someone start a new
one?  And if it does so, there are two choices: make it proprietary or
open source.  Selling word processors will certainly raise less money than
some database crunching applications where Java shares a large part of the
world. Making it open source would need to attract some developers. There
is plenty of Java programmers and majority of them does not work on open
source projects written in Java (with exception to open source projects
used in daily work). I know it, I'm one of them.

Have a nice day.

Stepan Roh