[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Artistic polish

To: "Brandon J. Van Every" <vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv-Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Artistic polish
From: Raimar Falke <i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 11:34:24 +0100

On Sat, Nov 22, 2003 at 07:56:27PM -0800, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
> From: Anthony J. Stuckey [mailto:astuckey@xxxxxxxx]
> >
> >     Frankly, what most open-source games need (including Freeciv) is
> > polish.  Compare, for instance, the Escape Velocity line of games
> > (http://www.ambrosiasw.com) with Vega Strike.
> > (http://sourceforge.net/projects/vegastrike/)
>
> Not really fair, since one has real $$$$$$ behind it and the other
> doesn't.  We could make all kinds of eye candy comparisons between
> Freeciv and Civ III, it's not a basically fair comparison.
>
> I'm not sure what kinds of open source games can garner the best eye
> candy and production values.  At a guess, I'm tempted to say you'd need
> to be working in a genre that's wildly popular.  People like Civ, but
> tons more people like FPS and RTS games.  I think the few open source
> projects I've seen that had real production values were based on FPS 3D
> engines.

Freeciv can be changed so that it can read the civ3 graphics format
(the original one and the graphics made by 3rd parties).

http://www.wesnoth.org/ is an open source game and has the eye candy.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "The very concept of PNP is a lovely dream that simply does not translate to