[Freeciv-Dev] Artistic polish

To: "Freeciv-Dev" <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Artistic polish
From: "Brandon J. Van Every" <vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 19:56:27 -0800

From: Anthony J. Stuckey [mailto:astuckey@xxxxxxxx]

>       Frankly, what most open-source games need (including Freeciv) is
> polish.  Compare, for instance, the Escape Velocity line of games
> (http://www.ambrosiasw.com) with Vega Strike.
> (http://sourceforge.net/projects/vegastrike/)

Not really fair, since one has real $$$$$$ behind it and the other
doesn't.  We could make all kinds of eye candy comparisons between
Freeciv and Civ III, it's not a basically fair comparison.

I'm not sure what kinds of open source games can garner the best eye
candy and production values.  At a guess, I'm tempted to say you'd need
to be working in a genre that's wildly popular.  People like Civ, but
tons more people like FPS and RTS games.  I think the few open source
projects I've seen that had real production values were based on FPS 3D
engines.

Maybe a lot of the artistic effort gets sucked up by the commercial
modding community?

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

Taking risk where others will not.