[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Python?

To: "Brandon J. Van Every" <vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv-Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Python?
From: Raimar Falke <i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 14:42:03 +0100

On Sun, Nov 23, 2003 at 05:30:39AM -0800, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
> Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> >
> > This is not going anywhere.
>
> That depends entirely on where you expected it to go.
>
> > Freeciv will not be rewritten in Python.
>
> I never proposed any such thing.  I proposed embedding Python into
> Freeciv and making some use of its capabilities in appropriate domains.
> I'd like to think "repetition is the key to all learning" on this point.
> As someone else said, all big projects get a scripting language
> eventually.
>
> > Language flame wars are never productive.
>
> IMO this has been an intelligent discussion, not a flame war.  As such,
> I have found it productive even if you personally haven't.  I do find it
> tiring when people *define* language discussions as flame wars, since
> there is no a priori reason to do so.
>
> > PS It is possible that some scripting language may one day be
> > added and
> > made to do specialized tasks. However, it will not replace
> > the core code
> > which will always be written in C. And it will not happen in
> > the next 6 months.
>
> I've planted the seed, consider it in the future.
>
> I am unsubscribing now.  If anyone wants to follow up by private e-mail,
> feel free!

Such changes (embedding python) doesn't come by magic. Someone has to
produce them. It looks like these changes should come from you. So
pick yourself a small feature you want to add to freeciv and implement
it in python.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "I heard if you play the NT-4.0-CD backwards, you get a satanic message."