[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Python?

To: "Freeciv-Dev" <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Python?
From: "Brandon J. Van Every" <vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 05:30:39 -0800

Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> This is not going anywhere.

That depends entirely on where you expected it to go.

> Freeciv will not be rewritten in Python.

I never proposed any such thing.  I proposed embedding Python into
Freeciv and making some use of its capabilities in appropriate domains.
I'd like to think "repetition is the key to all learning" on this point.
As someone else said, all big projects get a scripting language
eventually.

> Language flame wars are never productive.

IMO this has been an intelligent discussion, not a flame war.  As such,
I have found it productive even if you personally haven't.  I do find it
tiring when people *define* language discussions as flame wars, since
there is no a priori reason to do so.

> PS It is possible that some scripting language may one day be
> added and
> made to do specialized tasks. However, it will not replace
> the core code
> which will always be written in C. And it will not happen in
> the next 6 months.

I've planted the seed, consider it in the future.

I am unsubscribing now.  If anyone wants to follow up by private e-mail,
feel free!

Cheers,                         www.indiegamedesign.com

"We live in a world of very bright people building
crappy software with total shit for tools and process."
                                - Ed Mckenzie