Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4701) autoattack oddities esp. with cruise missile

To: andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4701) autoattack oddities esp. with cruise missiles
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 23:15:47 -0700

Andy Smith wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 27, 2003 at 12:17:38PM -0700, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
>
>>>So I suggest:
>>>
>>>1. auto-attack should make sure that your own unit can engage the enemy
>>> unit at all, as a big fix.
>>>
>>>2. As a game option, auto-attack should only operate on enemy units
>>> that can currently be seen by the player.  I say as an option
>>> because I can see how this greatly reduces the power of
>>> auto-attack and maybe some people desire the previous behaviour?
>>
>>No, this should not be an option. Auto-attack that attacks units the
>>player cannot see is clearly a bug.
>

> [...]
>

>>Yes, please write patches for these bugs.
>

> How's this?  Appears to work:

There are several "handicaps" that you should check.  If the handicap
flags are set (as they are for the current AI) then the player is
allowed to cheat in this way.

This is pretty severe cheating, even for the AI.  But OTOH the AI will
rarely make it far enough that this matters (does it build cruise
missiles at all?).

See ai_handicap(), H_MAP, and H_FOG.

jason