Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4701) autoattack oddities esp. with cruise missile

To: andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4701) autoattack oddities esp. with cruise missiles
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 12:17:38 -0700

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003, Andy Smith wrote:
> Apologies if this is the wrong way to report a bug; I'm new here.

You did exactly the right thing.

> So I suggest:
>
> 1. auto-attack should make sure that your own unit can engage the enemy
>  unit at all, as a big fix.
>
> 2. As a game option, auto-attack should only operate on enemy units
>  that can currently be seen by the player.  I say as an option
>  because I can see how this greatly reduces the power of
>  auto-attack and maybe some people desire the previous behaviour?

No, this should not be an option. Auto-attack that attacks units the
player cannot see is clearly a bug.

> As I said, I'm new here, but these patches seem fairly trivial. I'm
> happy (and would find it instructive) to provide them if they would
> be likely to be included. What do you think?

Yes, please write patches for these bugs. If you look hard, I am sure you
can find plenty more bugs in this code. It has always been pretty bad, and
nobody has fixed or cleaned up this code in several years.

  - Per

"This is the future for the world we're in at the moment,"
promised Lawrence Di Rita, special assistant to Rumsfeld.
"We'll get better as we do it more often."