Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: changing team members from players to users.

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv-Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: changing team members from players to users.
From: Mike Kaufman <kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 12:32:31 -0500

On Sat, Jul 12, 2003 at 07:32:04AM +0000, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> > > It makes no sense. Team consists of players, not users. A player can have
> > > multiple users. However, all users connected to a player _must_ be on the
> > > same team. If user A and B are playing player C, and you put A and B on
> > > different teams...
> >
> > well, this is awful, since players don't have unique names in pregame (and
> > it is a _real_ bitch to do so). What do you propose doing?
>
> I've suggested before that we move nation selection (and thus player name
> selection) into pregame. This way starting a game goes faster (do it while
> waiting), it is easier to set up modpack/scenario games where nation picks
> matter (eg which nation you pick determines which side you are on, or
> which bonuses you get), and you avoid all the issues with running player
> communication being between pregame and in-game.
>
> Sorry, I don't see an easier way just now.

an _easier_ way? nation selection in pregame is not exactly a trivial
matter. Until that becomes a reality, (which I imagine won't be anytime
soon) what should we do about it? The current situation means that teams
can't be picked except by interesting circumscription (creating AI players
by name and then taking over).

-mike