Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: changing team members from players to users.

To: Freeciv-Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: changing team members from players to users.
From: Mike Kaufman <kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 22:47:41 -0500

On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 06:59:35PM -0500, Mike Kaufman wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 11:27:37PM +0000, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> > >
> > > here is a patch that make the argument to the 'team' command a user rather
> > > than a player name. CCing to Per since this may be contentious.
> >
> > It makes no sense. Team consists of players, not users. A player can have
> > multiple users. However, all users connected to a player _must_ be on the
> > same team. If user A and B are playing player C, and you put A and B on
> > different teams...
>
> well, this is awful, since players don't have unique names in pregame (and
> it is a _real_ bitch to do so). What do you propose doing?

here's a patch to fix the problem. players are named after their users in
pregame. This begins to implements a set of rules for pregame Here they
are:

1. attaching a user to a player always changes player name to username.
   o if a user is already connected to that player, that user is detached.
2. attaching an observer to a player doesn't change the player name.
3. detaching a user from a player removes the player.
   o any observers are also detached.
   o it doesn't matter if that player was /created: player still removed.
3. taking a player always aitoggles to human.

this seems a bit draconian, but is rather necessary. I've also noticed some
rather interesting corner cases which will hopefully be addressed in future
patches.

Also the messages are rather odd now. That's life.

-mike