Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#1870) borders patch feedback

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#1870) borders patch feedback
From: "Ben Webb" <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 09:27:51 -0700

On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 09:03:04AM -0700, ChrisK@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 05:47:22AM -0700, Ben Webb wrote:
> > How about we just don't draw borders along coasts? SMAC doesn't either.
> Well, it is not alone the look. I'm with Rafal mostly here. It makes more
> sense for me that city and coastal tiles are *own* territory.

What do you mean by "city" and "coastal" tiles?

> What is SMAC compatability good for?

The point is, Stewart and I wrote it this way because that's roughly
what SMAC does. The time I have to fiddle with the details to try and
please everybody is limited, which is why I'm reluctant to change what
we have for no demonstrated gain.

> > > 2. The radius calculation is not exact, which results in ugly "circles".
> > >    Should be calculated from tile center to tile center. Guess there is a
> > >    int() instead of a round() somewhere.
> > We use the standard map_distance_vector function to calculate the
> > distance - what's wrong with it? The borders won't be circles, because
> > units can move diagonally at the same rate as horizontally and
> > vertically, even though the distance is greater.
> So the borders are squares? I don't understand. I'm talking of non-iso.

No, the borders will be straight lines, because they come between tiles;
they will approximate circles though. The calculation is of course
exact; all tiles whose squared map distance is less than or equal to
game.borders squared will be claimed. No rounding is involved, as map
distances are always integers. See common/map.c.

> > > 4. Suggestion (maybe for later): draw borders so that the *side* can be
> > >    seen. Fx a semicircle instead of dashed line, with the arc to the outer
> > >    world.
> > I'm not quite sure what you mean here.
> I mean that you can tell from the border line which side is yours. Like:

>       O W N    D   E N E M Y

Ah. It's not something I'm going to code (looks a bit tricky to draw,
compared to just drawing a line) but it's a good idea.

        Ben
--
ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx         http://bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk/~ben/
"So you found a girl who thinks really deep thoughts,