Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#1870) borders patch feedback

To: ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#1870) borders patch feedback
From: "ChrisK@xxxxxxxx" <ChrisK@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 09:03:04 -0700

On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 05:47:22AM -0700, Ben Webb wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 02, 2003 at 02:51:41PM -0700, ChrisK@xxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > 1. Coastal ocean tiles should be included in the territory IMHO.
>
> The trouble is this would be inconsistent with the way SMAC does things;
> the borders patch was written originally to replicate SMAC borders.
>
> >    All city tiles (to be worked on) should also be included.
> >    Attached PNG shows how ugly it is now.
>
> How about we just don't draw borders along coasts? SMAC doesn't either.
> Whether to count ocean squares as national or international waters is
> kind of dependent on what you think the distance scale to be. Claiming
> tiles in the city radius would only help in the particular case you
> show; it wouldn't help for other inland lakes/oceans.

Well, it is not alone the look. I'm with Rafal mostly here. It makes more
sense for me that city and coastal tiles are *own* territory.

This all depends how borders are used later on. Probably there are clear
ideas around that I don't know. Has this been discussed? What is SMAC
compatability good for?

> > 2. The radius calculation is not exact, which results in ugly "circles".
> >    Should be calculated from tile center to tile center. Guess there is a
> >    int() instead of a round() somewhere.
>
> We use the standard map_distance_vector function to calculate the
> distance - what's wrong with it? The borders won't be circles, because
> units can move diagonally at the same rate as horizontally and
> vertically, even though the distance is greater.

So the borders are squares? I don't understand. I'm talking of non-iso.

> > 4. Suggestion (maybe for later): draw borders so that the *side* can be
> >    seen. Fx a semicircle instead of dashed line, with the arc to the outer
> >    world.
>
> I'm not quite sure what you mean here.

I mean that you can tell from the border line which side is yours. Like:

      O W N    D   E N E M Y

> > 5. In the beginning when land is being discovered, there is a lot of
> >    flickery due to redraw of city names/description.
>
> Yes, that's mentioned in the README. I think this is more a problem of
> map_info packet spam than borders stuff. Ideally all of these redraws
> would be frozen until the whole group of map_info packets have been
> received. The borders code shouldn't result in extra map_info packets
> being sent here; if it does, it's a bug.

I think it is; I will try to find out more.

> > 6. I've got a server crash when switching of fogofwar, and, later switch on
> >    again, on turn done:
> >
> Hmm. None of the functions mentioned in the backtrace are modified by
> the borders code, and pending_seen certainly isn't fiddled with. Borders
> could be the culprit if it's overwriting random memory, I suppose. Are
> you using the semifog patch as well? The standard borders patch doesn't
> alter the player_tile struct.

I didn't use semifog patch.

> >    Not reproducible.
>
> Odd. Can you get a similar crash without the borders patch?

I doubt it.

> > 7. "Color" column in player report better named "Border"
>
> Ah, but the function we use is "player_color". It's not only used for
> borders.

Ah, ok.

>       Ben

Christian