Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: borders patch (PR#1870)

To: ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: borders patch (PR#1870)
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 05:50:38 -0700

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003, Ben Webb wrote:
> > I think the "more realistic" solution is going to be error prone.
>
> Possibly. See the current version of the patch to find out. ;)

Not found any bugs yet.

> > While testing it, I found the dark blue border very hard to read.
>
> Yes, so did I. You can't see it at all over ocean tiles.
>
> > Some borders looked rather similar and may be hard to pick out by people
> > with
> > some colour blindness.
>
> Not my fault. Blame whoever wrote the player_color function. ;)

Well, player_color() has max 14 different colours. So relying on this is
bad in any case. It is IMHO a deprecated function.

> > I realize we may run out of distinguishable bright
> > colours, but maybe we can combine colours in some way, eg every second
> > line dot in a different colour? Perhaps the dots should be of varying
> > length too, so that you can recognize them on a morse code like pattern?
>
> As a partial solution, the current patch adds tile ownership display to
> the middle-mouse-button popup with the GTK2 client.

"Claimed by: X", it looks better as "Claimed by X" (ie drop the ':').

> > Also, I think borders should go further into the ocean. It looks a little
> > cramped the current way. It is almost claustrophobic at times...
>
> It's done this way to mimic SMAC behaviour. I suppose it could be
> configurable though - you can write the code if you like. ;)

I'll have a look at that when the code is in cvs. For now, please fix the
behaviour with inland lakes. Any inland lake not directly adjacent to a
city will get a border around it. That looks stupid with gen 5 maps that
have plenty inland lakes - your continent gets lots of 1x1 border 'holes'.

Other than that it looks pretty good.

  - Per