Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: borders patch (PR#1870)

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: borders patch (PR#1870)
From: "Ben Webb" <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 06:21:00 -0700

On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 05:50:38AM -0700, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jun 2003, Ben Webb wrote:
> > > I think the "more realistic" solution is going to be error prone.
> > Possibly. See the current version of the patch to find out. ;)
> Not found any bugs yet.

Actually, there is a bug in civ_score which causes the borders to be
recalculated (map_calculate_territory) every turn, contrary to the
function comment. That's easily fixed though - it's just a missed "!".

> > > Some borders looked rather similar and may be hard to pick out by people
> > > with some colour blindness.
> > Not my fault. Blame whoever wrote the player_color function. ;)
> Well, player_color() has max 14 different colours. So relying on this is
> bad in any case. It is IMHO a deprecated function.

True. I seem to recall it being suggested that dashed lines with
superimposed national flags would be more general - not sure how easy
this would be to draw though.

> > As a partial solution, the current patch adds tile ownership display to
> > the middle-mouse-button popup with the GTK2 client.
> "Claimed by: X", it looks better as "Claimed by X" (ie drop the ':').

OK, that's easily changed.

> For now, please fix the behaviour with inland lakes. Any inland lake not
> directly adjacent to a city will get a border around it. That looks stupid
> with gen 5 maps that have plenty inland lakes - your continent gets lots
> of 1x1 border 'holes'.

Yes, I've noticed that. Is there any Freeciv code for detecting inland
lakes (e.g. to stop the AI building naval units in them) ? It would be
relatively straightforward to detect a 1x1 lake, I suppose, but any
bigger than that and you have to think about where to draw the line
between inland lake and inland sea...

        Ben
--
ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx           http://bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk/~ben/
"God runs electromagnetics by wave theory on Monday, Wednesday, and