Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: borders patch (PR#1870)

To: ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: borders patch (PR#1870)
From: "rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 11:09:16 -0700

It would be nice to have the lake vs sea designations match coastal vs
ocean designations that affect triremes and such. A body is a sea if it
has any deeps that will sink triremes, i.e. any ocean completely surrounded
by ocean. If you had 3 ocean depths {coastal, shelf, deeps} a sea would
need at least one "deeps", for instance.

This works out even better if one uses terrain types to designate such
features. Thus, in the simplest case there would be 3 ocean tile types:
   3 Ocean deep     (sea)
   2 Ocean coastal  (sea)
   1 Inland coastal (lake)
The map would be appropriately labelled at creation time, and would only
need to be updated on a terrain change that connected an ocean to a lake.
The tile could be checked at any time to determine necessary parameters,
including the ocean/lake number that labels disconnected oceans. If you
had 5 Ocean type, then there would be an inland and an ocean continental
shelf (which might be useful for controlling undersea city placement).

This might simplify a lot of trireme movement rules as well as the terrain
hooks allow one to differentiate without constantly rechecking for one
case or the other.

Cheers,
RossW
=====