Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4381) some clean with get_map_tile(...) , get_map_

To: bursig@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4381) some clean with get_map_tile(...) , get_map_terrain(...), get_map_special(...) ...
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 07:25:52 -0700

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003, rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > This is a list what DEBUG controls:
> [...]
> >- CHECK_MAP_POS which is a speed penalty but a good one IMHO
>
> CHECK_MAP_POS replaced efficient checks on a per-code block basis with
> a horrible mess of redundant checks on a per access when it was installed.
> It was always said this was a *very* bad thing to do and should be removed
> from the code when people were convinced that the bugs it was supposed to
> find were removed.
>
> The pity is that the efficient per-module checks have largely been removed
> and CHECK_MAP_POS is now a permantent feature that Raimar keeps insisting
> is a good thing (TM) every time it comes up.

I agree. Low-level CHECK_MAP_POS and other checks that significantly slows
down runtime in debug mode should be turned off by default. Debug mode
should be _the_ mode which developers - and maintainers at the very least
- use to test their code. If even the maintainers can't be bothered to use
the debug mode because it is too slow, then something is flat wrong with
the way debug mode is implemented.

  - Per