Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4387) The Return of the Rand() Moves

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4387) The Return of the Rand() Moves
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 07:44:05 -0700

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003, Raimar Falke wrote:
> > > No if the only reason is that it is hard to implement.

It is not the only reason. It is a good reason. I do not wish to rehash
the other arguments, they are in the mail archives.

> > will slow the PF down significantly
>
> That is true. I'm not sure about the "significantly" but it will be
> slower.

Path finding (old warmap and new pf) is the single biggest CPU consumer in
the server. If this makes pf slower, than that is a rather important
argument.

> > The outline implementation will be a nightmare to implement and maintain,
>
> Can I convince you that this isn't the case if I code the implementation?

As a last resort, I am for making rand() moves a server option, as long as
it defaults to off and the rand() move code path does not add complexity
to or slows down the non-rand() code path.

  - Per