Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4387) The Return of the Rand() Moves

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4387) The Return of the Rand() Moves
From: "Davide Pagnin" <nightmare@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 07:37:16 -0700

> > Raimar, is it okay with you that rand() moves is made a server option, and
> > that it defaults to off in the default ruleset?
>
> I just don't see what it buys us.
>
> The only point I see is that the AI can be more optimal in the
> non-random case. However I think that the AI movement speed doesn't
> have this much impact on the general performance of the AI that it
> would be worth it.
>
> What about a cheat (non-handicap) for this? So with this cheat the AI
> will always win this random decision.

Well, rand() moves as a server option seems a good idea, to me.
To have them on or off for default ruleset can be up to a vote between
players (default can be considered the most played configuration...)

I support Raimar's idea of a ai_handicap always_win_random and also its
counter (always_lose_random), so say, hardest AI has always_win_random
on and always_lose_random off, easiest AI the countrary. Other level, we
may playtest how it interfere.

        Davide