Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4387) The Return of the Rand() Moves

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4387) The Return of the Rand() Moves
From: "Gregory Berkolaiko" <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 08:54:03 -0700

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003, Raimar Falke wrote:

> > The outline implementation will be a nightmare to implement and maintain,
>
> Can I convince you that this isn't the case if I code the implementation?

Sure!  It's up to you how you spend your time ;)

But I think a reasonable necessary condition for the inclusion should be
that the mainstream PF calculation is not slowed down.

> > and will not satsify all users either.
>
> You have to outline this.

Just a feeling.  Somebody will always complain that he prefers that path
to this path, and with the randomness it's hard to argue which is the
shortest.

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003, ChrisK@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> PF is done *once* when I press G, right? So this shouldn't matter...

More or less.  Actually it's done dynamically, as you move the mouse
around.

> > I have yet to see any credible argument that "exacter data" of a average
> > quantity provides any measureable improvement to game play.
>
> The "old" Goto was very well tuned and I liked it. I haven't searched for PF

Changing the turn mode to TM_CAPPED will give you the same paths as were
produced by previous goto implementation.

> bugs when I found them; I stumbled over them while playing, and learned, ah
> this is new Pathfinding. Well there are various bugs, some of them easy to
> fix (I hope) but would you use GOTO if you knew it gives suboptimal routes?

BTW, with unified path-finding the bugs you find will help us not only to
fix the client goto, but the AI goto too.  So you are doing a very good
and important job.

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003, ChrisK@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> We have this move model with a lot of units with 1 MP, and we have roads.
> The randomness is the answer to that problem.
>
> So, if a musketeer with 2/3 MP sometimes reach the next tile and sometimes
> not, I think its fair. For me, it need not be computable, it is just a game.
>
> When all moves with 2/3 MP fail, this changes a lot in gameplay.

I actually quite liked the Civ3 model where the move was possible as long
as you have any MP left.  I would actually prefer that to "strict"
movement.

Also we can make the rules so that moves with 2/3 will always succeed and
moves with 1/3 will always fail.  It's just the randomness that creates
much problem.

G.