Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4387) The Return of the Rand() Moves

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4387) The Return of the Rand() Moves
From: "Raimar Falke" <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 08:38:57 -0700

On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 06:31:25AM -0700, rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Raimar Falke wrote:
> [...]
> >>The outline implementation will be a nightmare to implement and maintain,
> >
> > Can I convince you that this isn't the case if I code the implementation?
> >
> >>will slow the PF down significantly
> >
> > That is true. I'm not sure about the "significantly" but it will be
> > slower. If you want exacter data you have to pay the price. The same
> > is true for the trireme.
>
> I have yet to see any credible argument that "exacter data" of a average
> quantity provides any measureable improvement to game play.

It was a user request. And IMHO a reasonable one. If we remake the
path-finding we can deal with the open ends such as this request.

> "Exacter data" is just not work any effort and is in general an
> approach that will ruin any chance at developing a credible AI. If
> the AI can reliably choose one of the top 3 or 5 "best" moves by any
> measure of analysis, it will be as effective, whether it chooses
> randomly from these, or does some excrutiatingly exact calculation
> to make its final pick.

Nobody said that the AI has to use this feature. What is good for the
AI decide the AI people. Path-finding will just provide the tools you
can choose from.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  The Software is not designed or licensed for use in on-line control