Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4242) Clean up the goto route network protocol and

To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4242) Clean up the goto route network protocol and route execution
From: "Raimar Falke" <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 02:47:31 -0700

On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 01:58:11AM -0700, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> On Thu, 15 May 2003, Raimar Falke wrote:
> > > +pf_print_path(LOG_DEBUG, src);
> > >
> > > I hope you remove this for the final version :-)
> >
> > Is it really this much runtime overhead?
>
> It adds up.

Ok.

> > > Hmm. Instead of sending a hard 'wait', why not mark dangers and let the
> > > server sort out the waiting? This way we don't screw up if the server sits
> > > on some information we don't have. Probably harder to code, though.
> > do you want that the client sends the server a path and a set of
> > dangerous tiles and the server figures out the waiting?
>
> Yes. The client sends the server a path where the dangerous tiles are
> marked. I don't know if this is feasible, though.

And what is the advantage?

In general the server should abort the execution if the unit isn't in
sync with the outlined path anymore. But the server can't currently
decide this. But if the client also sends the moves_left for each
position the server can do it.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx