Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4242) Clean up the goto route network protocol and

To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4242) Clean up the goto route network protocol and route execution
From: "Raimar Falke" <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 09:45:43 -0700

On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 09:26:51AM -0700, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> On Fri, 16 May 2003, Raimar Falke wrote:
> > > Yes as a single variable, not per tile. If zero, don't attack if we
> > > encounter a unit at our destination.
> >
> > > Encountering a non-allied unit in our path before our destination
> > > should alwaysbe a mistake, and the goto should abort.
> >
> > You can construct cases where the unit knows that it will just win the
> > fight.
>
> Then make use of several gotos. There is never any advantage in making a
> goto that includes a roadkill when you can make two gotos instead. From
> the client's perspective, you can never assume to *know* that you will win
> with absolute certainty.

Howitzer vs Warrior:

  printf("%e\n",win_chance(12,30,2, 1,10,1));
  printf("%e\n",win_chance(1,10,1, 12,30,2));

prints

  1.000000e+00
  1.299049e-29

Seems pretty obvious which unit will win the fight.

But this discussion is rather pointless.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "I haven't lost my mind - it's backed up on tape somewhere."