Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4242) Clean up the goto route network protocol and

To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4242) Clean up the goto route network protocol and route execution
From: "Raimar Falke" <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 03:57:09 -0700

On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 03:20:26AM -0700, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> > > Yes. The client sends the server a path where the dangerous tiles are
> > > marked. I don't know if this is feasible, though.
> >
> > And what is the advantage?
>
> Let's say a piece of road in your path, which covered by FoW, has been
> pillaged. This means you just lost 3, not 1, MP. When you reach the first
> series of dangerous tiles, you (the client) thought you could pass, but in
> reality you can't. So you should have stopped.

In this case the server should IMHO stop after the step onto this tile
because it sees that the moves_left don't match. It should stop and
put the unit to idle. Then the client (human or agent) has to produce
new commands.

The goto execution should also be aborted if an enemy stands in the
path and/or is visible. But there needs to be a possibility to say
"attack with this move" which will stop if there is no enemy at the
position. This gets complex and is one of the reasons why goto
execution should be done at the client side. At least for the agents.

The proposed patch is good enough for the human player. So I'm still
for applying this patch and not expand it. If this one is in two more
patches will come: one to convert connect and go-to-city to the client
and one for air units. The latter is more Greg's area.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  (On the statement print "42 monkeys"+"1 snake"): BTW, both perl and Python