Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [FreeCiv-Cvs] vas: * Make all windows childs of the to

To: Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [FreeCiv-Cvs] vas: * Make all windows childs of the toplevel. Th...
From: Raimar Falke <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 11:21:21 +0200

On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 07:48:14AM +0100, Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa wrote:
> On Fri, 16 May 2003, Raimar Falke wrote:

> > > Minimize it. I made all those windows minimizable some days ago.
> >
> > And this helps exactly how?
> >
> > We have:
> >
> > Old behavior: Alt-Tab to hide it, Alt-Tab to show. Position remains.
> >
> > Open & Close: Mouse click or Alt-C to hide, Mouse click or F* to
> > show. Position is lost.
> >
> > Minimize: Mouse click to hide (There may be a keyboard shortcut. I
> > never used it.), mouse click to show (this mouse click is also more
> > expensive since I have to search in enlightenment's iconbox). Position
> > remains.
>
> In Windowmaker (probably also in MacOS X I dunno) the default way of
> organizing your desktop is minimize/maximize. It works.

I don't use Windowmaker. And I won't use Windowmaker. I'm pleased with
Enlightenment.

> In case you did not notice, if you minimize (ALT+F9) the science dialog
> (or any of the reports or the city dialogs) and select to open the science
> dialog again from the menu (or press F6), the window maximizes right into
> the old place. Your point is moot.

I said that the position remains.

> It is even easier to manage when you have lots of dialogs than ALT-TABing
> to death to go to window #6.

Yes you have to Alt-Tab a lot if you use all 6 windows. But if you use
only 3 out of these 6 they will be in the front of the Alt-Tab list.

> If you do not like the windows close them. Open them again when you want
> them. Close the science dialog with ALT+F4 (this should always work fine
> in the GTK+ 2.0 client unlike in the old one) or ALT+C and pop it up again
> with F6.

> Regarding the position loss with open/close I know some window managers,
> like kwm, can save the position and size. I even added some hints that
> should fix some old longstanding problems kwm had with the window names.

While I think this is a kludge there is another problem. The gtk2
windows doesn't have the correct name set. The name and class is
"gtk2" and "Gtk2" while for the gtk1 client it is "civclient" and
"Civclient". Note that _all_ windows (well I looked at city report and
science dialog) have this name and class in the gtk1 client.

> I may make the reports always pop up centered under the mouse if you feel
> that speeds things up.
>
> > At least for me the old behavior has clear advantages.
>
> That is if you do not mind that when you use click to focus, like a lot
> of people do including all the Redhat 8 and 9 users with the default
> configuration, report and city windows misteriously are sent to back
> whenever a window which goes on top of the toplevel is opened, like the
> find dialog, tile units dialog, etc. i.e. the bug that patch fixed.
>
> The alternative is to use the old way: none of the windows are on top of
> the toplevel. This means you can lose track of some windows easily
> beneath the forest of windows of the other apps you are running.
> I know I did so quite often.

> Also in case you did not notice most applications on Windows work the way
> the GTK+ 2.0 client works now. i.e. app windows are always on top of the
> root app window. Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop, etc.

This doesn't is a prove that this is a good behavior.

> People get used to it.

It is an open source game. So it can be changed.

Ok my compromise is that we make it an option like "Use Alt/Meta for
accelerators (GTK only)" which defaults to the current behavior so
that new users don't get confused.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  "Windows is the one true OS. MS invented the GUI. MS invented