Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [FreeCiv-Cvs] vas: * Make all windows childs of the to

To: Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [FreeCiv-Cvs] vas: * Make all windows childs of the toplevel. Th...
From: Raimar Falke <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 09:51:36 +0200

On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 10:48:47PM +0100, Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa wrote:
> > While I think this is a kludge there is another problem. The gtk2
> > windows doesn't have the correct name set. The name and class is
> > "gtk2" and "Gtk2" while for the gtk1 client it is "civclient" and
> > "Civclient". Note that _all_ windows (well I looked at city report and
> > science dialog) have this name and class in the gtk1 client.
>
> Interesting.
>
> Well I am following the GTK+ docs and unfortunately I do not have kwm
> installed anymore. The docs say it should work well with any ICCCM compliant
> windowmanager as long as the window title name is unique.
>
> Some dialogs (e.g. the city dialog) do not have unique title names hence I
> added a gtk_window_set_role there as suggested by the docs. See:
>
> http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/GtkWindow.html#gtk-window-set-role
>
> The docs also say *not* to change the name and class yourself:
>
> http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/GtkWindow.html#gtk-window-set-wmclass

Enlightment however matches name and class. At least this is what I
see it does. AFAIK Enlightment doesn't use the title.

> > > Also in case you did not notice most applications on Windows work the way
> > > the GTK+ 2.0 client works now. i.e. app windows are always on top of the
> > > root app window. Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop, etc.
> >
> > This doesn't is a prove that this is a good behavior.
>
> I am just pointing out that this way is as valid as Alt-Tab. It even has
> several interesting new features like being harder to lose app windows.
>
> Unlike you I usually do not use virtual desktops much and it is common
> for me to have terminals, browser windows etc in the same desktop as Freeciv.

> This makes tracking windows even more difficult.

Yes. But IMHO virtual desktops are a nice invention. Especially is you
have a long running desktop (no logout every day) and multiple tasks.

> > > People get used to it.
> >
> > It is an open source game. So it can be changed.
> >
> > Ok my compromise is that we make it an option like "Use Alt/Meta for
> > accelerators (GTK only)" which defaults to the current behavior so
> > that new users don't get confused.
>
> Ok I will. But it will default to the new behaviour instead.
>
> I could bet only you will use it and even then I doubt for long after you
> get used to the new way.
>
> Do you know *anyone* who disables "Use Alt/Meta for accelerators"?
> I dropped that nonsensical option for GTK+ 2.0 ages ago and guess what?
> No one noticed it. No I will not add it back. :-)

The patch author?! It is Daniel Sjölie <deepone@xxxxxxxxxx>.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  "brand memory are for windows users that think their stability