Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Suggestions/Ideas

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Suggestions/Ideas
From: Joseph Ennis <ennisj471@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 09:26:52 -0700 (PDT)

Hi everyone,

I was looking over the Suggestions/Ideas page, and
thought I could help.

I would like to implement the idea the ships could
sail up rivers.

I see three ways of doing this:

1.) Allow all ships to sail up rivers (simple)

2.) Allow only certain ships to sail up rivers, using
a flag in the units.ruleset file (easy, but requires
adding  more info to the ruleset.)

3.) Allow units to sail up a river based on river
depth (hard -- requires adding attributes to the tiles
and units, but also moves freeciv closer towards
having "height characteristics" mentioned in another
suggestion -- rivers would have a negative height --
but that creates more issues...)

The easiest part is just allowing SEA_MOVING units
unto river tiles. The harder parts are getting the
goto to work properly, and allowing non-costal cities
on rivers to build sea units.

I think no. 2 would be the best way to implement this,
with Trireme, Caravel, Galleon, Transport, Frigate,
Ironclad, and  Destoyer all being able to travel up
rivers. Of course those would be set in units.ruleset.

Is there any interest in this? If so, I'll get working
on a clean implementation of it.

--Andrew Ennis