Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Suggestions/Ideas

To: Łukasz Rekucki <lucas@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Suggestions/Ideas
From: Ben Webb <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 11:10:58 +0100

On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 10:14:30AM +0200, Łukasz Rekucki wrote:
> On Tue, 6 May 2003, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> > On Mon, 5 May 2003, Joseph Ennis wrote:
> > > I would like to implement the idea the ships could
> > > sail up rivers.
> > > 2.) Allow only certain ships to sail up rivers, using
> > > a flag in the units.ruleset file (easy, but requires
> > > adding more info to the ruleset.)
> >
> > Yes, this is the way to do it.
>
> I think the 3rd option is better. I don't know if pepople from FreeAC
> already added terrain height to their project, but if not they would be
> very happy to see this patch being made the 3rd way.

I can't speak for FreeAC (now called Stella Polaris, BTW, at
http://www.stellapolaris.info/) because they don't seem to have actually
released any code - but FreecivAC doesn't include terrain height. As far
as I understand it, some of the map generators use height internally
though. If you are going to use this method, you're still going to have
to flag units in the ruleset in some way, to denote the minimum depth of
water they can navigate on.

        Ben
--
ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx           http://bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk/~ben/
"Remember that disagreeable outbreak of foot-and-mouth disease in England last