Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Suggestions/Ideas

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Suggestions/Ideas
From: Łukasz Rekucki <lucas@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 10:14:30 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 6 May 2003, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> On Mon, 5 May 2003, Joseph Ennis wrote:
> > I would like to implement the idea the ships could
> > sail up rivers.
> > 2.) Allow only certain ships to sail up rivers, using
> > a flag in the units.ruleset file (easy, but requires
> > adding more info to the ruleset.)
>
> Yes, this is the way to do it.

I think the 3rd option is better. I don't know if pepople from FreeAC
already added terrain height to their project, but if not they would be
very happy to see this patch being made the 3rd way.

> > with Trireme, Caravel, Galleon, Transport, Frigate,
> > Ironclad, and Destoyer all being able to travel up
> > rivers.
>
> I think only Trireme should have this ability. It would give it a unique
> edge over later craft, giving players a reason (finally) for not
> researching Navigation so quickly. Such a unit flag can be put to good use
> in modpacks.

I would add Transport also, 'cause Trireme counts as combat unit, so under
Democracy you'll have troubles trsnsporting your units by river. BTW: If
we enable traveling by rivers we should add a new unit Barge which travels
only on river tiles.

> There is also the question of whether ground units should be able to
> attack ships travelling in rivers. I'd say yes - they are so close to the
> shore that it makes as much sense as a pikemen defeating an attacking
> ironclad, and it would be a nuisance if players could place triremes into
> rivers to block any ground based attacker.
>
>   - Per

This could be dependent on depth of river. Moreover, all units expect for
Archer, Musketeer, Rifleman, Canon, etc. should have (for example) 50% penalty
when attacking unit sailing no river squares.

-----
Łukasz Rekucki