Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: client/server authentication (PR#1767)

To: kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: client/server authentication (PR#1767)
From: "ChrisK@xxxxxxxx" <ChrisK@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 08:59:35 -0700

On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 07:43:04AM -0700, Mike Kaufman wrote:
> On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 01:21:13AM -0700, ChrisK@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> > On Sun, May 04, 2003 at 08:51:33PM -0700, Mike Kaufman wrote:
>
> > It is still easy to crash the client by simply holding the return
> > key pressed in the connect dialog:
>
> GTK1.2 should be fixed, try it. As for GTK2, I missed these:

It is not. Actually, GTK 1.2 is the only client I have tested.

This may be a bug in CVS. We've discussed it under the
Subject: "socket problem" recently.

>   g_signal_connect(dialog, "destroy",
>                    G_CALLBACK(connect_destroy_callback), NULL);
>   g_signal_connect(dialog, "response",
>                    G_CALLBACK(connect_command_callback), NULL);
>
> move these from the beginning of gui_server_connect to the end and see if
> that fixes it.

Sorry, no GTK 2 here.

> > When the user enters an empty password, she is asked to confirm it instead
> > of being rejected. The confirm step should be skipped in this case IMHO.
>
> hmm, this is Raimar's fault [mainly] since he wanted password confirmation
> in the client rather than the server, and I don't think I want to fix this
> since I agree with him. Only the server knows that a blank password is
> illegal. On some servers, this might not be the case. We don't want to put
> this information in the client.

Ok. As a general consideration, then the password should probably be sent
twice to the server, and the check for equality, sanity & correctness be
done there.

Also, I think the user feedback is suboptimal here. The more common way was
a seperate input line for the password.

> > +                  _("Your client is broken or lying. It thinks it's
> > sending"
> > +                    "a new password when it shouldn't. contact %s"),
> >
> > s/contact/Contact/
>
> sure. you didn't actually see this show up on the client though, right?

No, I didn't.

> > I've created a user account with a password containing german umlauts.
> > When I start the client with LANG=fr I cannot enter the umlauts (no "*"
> > appear).
> >
> > I got a
> > Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library
> > when civclient started. Is this the reason for it? Is this a problem?
> >
> > With LANG= it worked.
>
> Vasc will have to help me out here. I probably screwed up the
> localization in the strings somewhere.

Mh, I tested again

chris@max:~> LANG=fr civclient -t trident -P none
Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library

chris@max:~> LANG=de civclient -t trident -P none
Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library

chris@max:~> echo $LANG
de_DE@euro

chris@max:~> LANG=fr_FR@euro civclient -t trident -P none

chris@max:~> civclient -t trident -P none

chris@max:~> LANG= civclient -t trident -P none

and the last three calls to civclient are working ok.

Christian

--
Christian Knoke     * * *      http://www.enter.de/~c.knoke/