Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: client/server authentication (PR#1767)

To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: client/server authentication (PR#1767)
From: "Mike Kaufman" <kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 07:43:04 -0700

On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 01:21:13AM -0700, ChrisK@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Sun, May 04, 2003 at 08:51:33PM -0700, Mike Kaufman wrote:
>
> [auth4-6c.diff.gz]
>
> BTW your patch numbering is horrible.

thanks.

> It is still easy to crash the client by simply holding the return
> key pressed in the connect dialog:

GTK1.2 should be fixed, try it. As for GTK2, I missed these:

  g_signal_connect(dialog, "destroy",
                   G_CALLBACK(connect_destroy_callback), NULL);
  g_signal_connect(dialog, "response",
                   G_CALLBACK(connect_command_callback), NULL);

move these from the beginning of gui_server_connect to the end and see if
that fixes it.

> When the user enters an empty password, she is asked to confirm it instead
> of being rejected. The confirm step should be skipped in this case IMHO.

hmm, this is Raimar's fault [mainly] since he wanted password confirmation
in the client rather than the server, and I don't think I want to fix this
since I agree with him. Only the server knows that a blank password is
illegal. On some servers, this might not be the case. We don't want to put
this information in the client.

> +                  _("Your client is broken or lying. It thinks it's sending"
> +                    "a new password when it shouldn't. contact %s"),
>
> s/contact/Contact/

sure. you didn't actually see this show up on the client though, right?

> What's the reason for the redundancy with
>
> user_num=2
>
> in the database file?

the registry is stupid, it doesn't know how many entries are in the array.
take a look at a savegame for nunits and ncities. we have to do the same
thing there.

> I've created a user account with a password containing german umlauts.
> When I start the client with LANG=fr I cannot enter the umlauts (no "*"
> appear).
>
> I got a
> Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library
> when civclient started. Is this the reason for it? Is this a problem?
>
> With LANG= it worked.

Vasc will have to help me out here. I probably screwed up the
localization in the strings somewhere.

-mike