Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Cheating

To: freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Cheating
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 18:17:38 +0200

On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 12:32:43AM +0200, Christian Knoke wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 09:48:17PM +0200, Raimar Falke wrote:
> >
> > This link (http://catb.org/~esr/writings/quake-cheats.html) was posted
> > to linux-kernel and is a bit related to freeciv.
>
> ----
> Carmack observes that "the [cheating] clients/proxies focus on two main
> areas -- giving the player more information than they should have, and
> performing actions more skillfully."
> ----
>
> Freeciv isn't Quake. I think it is not to hard to fix the main information
> leak [...]

But what about the other pount?  This was discussed when the warclient
patch came out.  A solution was discussed that the article doesn't mention:
let the server "humanize" player actions (on the incoming packet queue)
before it actually tries to execute them.  E.g. impose the rule that no
two units can be moved within 0.2 seconds from each other, no matter of
the client sends the moves quicker.

--
Reinier