Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: client/server authentication (PR#1767)

To: kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: client/server authentication (PR#1767)
From: "Paul Zastoupil" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 10:05:22 -0700

On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 11:24:20AM -0700, Mike Kaufman wrote:

> > > easily solved.
> >
> > It is quite possible that I have other complains when you documented
> > these. I don't like the idea that the client sends the password twice
> > to the server. The test for equality can be done at the client.
>
> you are thinking about the original patch. the equality test is done in the
> client now. I will include documentation in the next patch iteration.
> > >
> > > I think it will be the case where pubserver has a couple hundred users in
> > > the database (you only have to log in once to get an entry after all).
> > > I'll
> > > think about it. Writing to the database may be a problem...
> >
> > For pubserver you also have to think about locking. Multiple servers
> > writing to it. This is independent of the format.
>
> true, but as Per pointed out to me, pubserver probably will have a real
> database backend. That's not to say that we shouldn't worry about this.

It will (already does?).  I think we should probably provide some sort
of interface to it from the server.

We've talked about this at length before, I don't remember all the
details.

Something like an external command that could be executed would be great.
The exit status could determin the outcome.  Just pass a username
and a password.  Then the auth could be done by any means.  We could
distribute some simple program that is used by default but people would
have no trouble integrating this into their local system.

Is this too complicated for now?

I appologise that I haven't been following this discussion closely, I've
been the one asking for player auth the longest.  Things are starting to
ramp up for me outside of Freeciv now, and I don't have nearly enough
time.

--
Paul Zastoupil