Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: client/server authentication (PR#1767)

To: kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: client/server authentication (PR#1767)
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 12:50:14 -0800

On Thu, 3 Apr 2003, Mike Kaufman wrote:
> > Can you please explain the conceptual difference between /take and /attach
> > and why you need both?
>
> well, depending on how you define /take, you may not need both.

Good.

> the
> situation is: a user [kauf] connects, and then decides he doesn't want to
> play, so he unattaches himself from the anonymous player he has.

I guess using /unattach ?

> we can overload /take if that's what you want to do, or we can use
> /create as such, or we can create a new command /attach. I created a little
> logic table, and /attach wasn't in it. I could do either, but the second is
> probably the best.

Now you lost me. I am a little slow. Can you try to explain all this in
layman's terms?

> We will need a second command to unattach a connection from a player (I've
> tentatively called it /untake for symmetry). We could use "/remove username"
> but I think this is too confusing.

Isn't this where /unattach comes in?

> On another note, we need some way to prevent people from taking over
> players when not wanted.

You mean taking over AI players? Leave it as is for now, which is everyone
can do so. Eventually we need a voting mechanism for elevating access (or
rework firstlevel) in order to make the system foolproof, allowing normal
pubserver users to have info cmdlevel. However, going to great lengths to
make one part foolproof when the entire system is full of holes is no
point.

  - Per