Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: client/server authentication (PR#1767)

To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: client/server authentication (PR#1767)
From: "Mike Kaufman" <kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 10:08:20 -0800

On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 09:44:28AM -0800, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> You got it backwards. I want a ctrl user be able to remove a login name
> from an AI player so that it is apparent that this player is not in use by
> anyone and can be "/taken" by any stray freeciver who is looking for some
> instant gratification.
>
> Eventually players should be protected so that only the original client
> connection can reconnect to it unless unreserved as described above.

hmm, I think that this may be making the whole procedure too complicated.
In any case, I think that this is a metaserver issue. A player in this
circumstance is never going to able to join the game automatically, he'll
have to connect and take the player whether the player's login is  "joebob"
or "Unassigned". The question is simply what the metaserver will say. It
can easily be done such that if a person is /cut with prejudice, the cut
command can rename the player (login) so that that user can't log back
into the game directly, he has to go back through the staging area.

I'm not saying that this isn't possible to do, it just that we don't want
to bloat the command set uselessly. How often do you see this getting used?
It seems like putting a message up on the metaserver: "Slots open" should
be good enough.

currently, the take command is level INFO so that anybody can take a
player for himself. the global take is HACK. We could make it CTRL, but
that's a really powerful command... eventually we'll have an game.allowtake
that can prevent connections from taking dead players or any players at
all.

-mike