Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: client/server authentication (PR#1767)

To: kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: client/server authentication (PR#1767)
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 06:20:18 -0800

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003, Mike Kaufman wrote:
> Yes, auto_attach is going to be a configurable option. Again, these three
> patches are preparatory patches. The reason that it is not now an option
> (and is set to TRUE) is because the necessary coolness is not present.
> Since the observation and multiconnect commands are not yet implemented,
> being able to set auto_attach to FALSE is pointless, hence the absense of
> code.

I'm not arguing that auto_attach should be configurable, I'm arguing it
should go away.

We're making starting a game more complex. The correct solution to this
issue is to make a GUI for creating players, setting up
AIs/observers/multiconnects and choosing teams.

Your auto-attach solution is no good. You assume that the usual case is
that there are X users and Y players where X == Y and all X want to play.
That assumption is not warranted.

Players should get accustomed to logging in, creating player, taking over
player, starting game. This shortcut will only create confusion about how
the system really works.

  - Per