Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: client/server authentication (PR#1767)

To: kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: client/server authentication (PR#1767)
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 15:17:45 -0800

On Sat, 22 Mar 2003, Mike Kaufman wrote:
> The mechanics of joining a game, etc are pretty much unchanged. The real
> differences are:
> o you can connect to a server without joining a game.

Very useful. We can now implement global observer without the "dead" hack.

> o you cannot join a game directly as an AI player. for this, you must
> login and then execute the 'take' command. This is necessary since in the
> authentication phase, you will not be able to use any old username.
> this also means that you don't have to connect to a running game with a
> particular username.

Nice. But I think "take" is a better name for the command than "takeover".
Also "Take a player's place in the game" is better.

Actually, I think "become" is better yet.

    List of players:
    a (username Server AI, AI, difficulty level easy)

This doesn't look good. "AI, AI" should be avoided. How about not having a
username for unconnected players? Or username "Unassigned"?

Finally, the 'list' command should show all connected users, even if not
related to any player.

> o allowconnect doesn't really work anymore. kinda bad. how often is this
> used on the public servers are what are the normal uses? This is going to
> get changed anyhow when true multiconnect and observation gets
> implemented (which will be right after the auth stuff goes in).

allowconnect is used for observing games. I'd rather not have it broken
for a longer period of time.

  - Per