Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: client/server authentication (PR#1767)

To: kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: client/server authentication (PR#1767)
From: "ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 06:49:12 -0800

On Fri, Mar 28, 2003 at 06:01:18AM -0800, Mike Kaufman wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 12:18:40PM -0800, ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >
> > > 4. a global observer (currently using create_dead, maybe using something
> > >    slightly different in the future)
> >
> > /dead was only a kludge :-)
>
> frankly, I don't understand why players allow this. There seems to me a
> massive potential for abuse when an observer can see the whole game. This
> doesn't bother you? I know if I were playing, I damn well wouldn't want
> some anonymous person looking over everyone's shoulder (but people seem to
> like it, so we should probably put in the ability).

You have to life with the situation that RIPped players can watch the
whole map too, that its posible to see in the gamelog what happened. So
you can't hide something before other players.

What is with people who are looking at chessgames? They could "help" the
players too, but they don't do, it would be cheating, and in freeciv its
cheating too when you give information to a player the server didn't sent
to him. So most people don't do it.

Before /dead people selected a nation and then disbanded all units, what
really unbalanced the games on gen 2 like maps.

> > 0. Players with only chatlinelevel change to it.
> > 1. People who wants to watch or multiconnect to other players have to
> > "connect" to them.
> > 2. Players chose the nations or chose global observation.
>
> I don't understand this (0 especially). please give me details.

Hmm,
think your modell is ok. You have different states where connections can
change from and to.

> > Looks very complicated for me, why not a button with "spectate" or
> > something like that instead of doing that before? (chosing nation -1)
> > All players who chose nation -1 will automatically be global spectator.
>
> where would this button be? where would nation -1 be? In the races dialog?
> One problem is that observing with a dead player (or equivalent) requires a
> separate player slot, observing an individual does not. Once you get a
> client to the races dialog, you're almost past the point of no return.

Think there is a solution without the need of a playerslot to watch the
hole game.

> > quakeworld had
> > > set spectator 1
> > > connect IP
>
> I don't know about setting observer before connect, since you want
> connections to be able to restrict who observes who, or if you can observe
> at all.
>
> having given this some thought, how about: all connections that log in are
> attached to a player slot automatically. If noone does anything, then
> everybody will play on start. A connection may:
>
> 1. do nothing to play
> 2. use /observe to observe a player, he is then unattached to the player
>    slot he originally was assigned.
> 3. use /multiconnect to attach to another player, he is then unattached to
>    the player slot he originally was assigned.
> 4. use /watch to observe the game globally (currently this would be
>    accomplished by unattaching from his original player slot, creating a
>    dead player if one hasn't been created yet, and then observing that dead
>    player).
> 5. use /unattach to unattach from the player slot you were origially
>    assigned. the connection becomes a bare connection, not participating in
>    the game.
> (6). use /attach, if you previously /unattached yourself, to get back into
>      the game.

Looks good.

> I like this. It's fairly simple and all initial actions require one
> command. (auto_attach will join the dodo) Per? If everyone can live with
> this, I'll code up auth2-3e.diff with this framework in mind.

And the commands can be used from the gui-authors.

Thomas
--
Thomas Strub  ***  eMail ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Wenn Du nicht programmieren kannst und Dir für Arbeit zu schade bist: