[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3516) Save files to large and redundant

To: admerik@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3516) Save files to large and redundant
From: "Raimar Falke" <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 23:15:39 -0800

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 07:07:01PM -0800, Alan Horkan wrote:

> I am not sure but i get the feeling that civserver overwrote one of my
> save games* with the current game, which is not exactly running the games
> in parallel but if i can verify this problem i will bring it up properly
> onlist.

I didn't mean this. Suppose you have 5 friends and play 5 games (long
timeout) in parallel with them in 5 different directories. Here you
would need a larger amount of space
5*savegames*size_of_savegame_gzipped. If you finish one you will run
the post_game script and than the size is reduced to
4*savegames*size_of_savegame_gzipped+1*size_of_savegames_tarred_bziped. After
you finished these 5 games have 5 tar.bz2 which take the minimal
space.

> Also, if an idea is particularly good then doing it as a script
> means that it is not integrated and is far less likely to be ported
> or maintained.

This is another issue. We can for example put this into the "ser"
script and trigger it only if the game is really over.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  One nuclear bomb can ruin your whole day.