[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3516) Save files to large and redundant

To: admerik@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3516) Save files to large and redundant
From: "ChrisK@xxxxxxxx" <ChrisK@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 02:04:31 -0800

On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 04:38:41PM -0800, Erik Johansson wrote:

> > If the program compresses them anyway, what does it matter?
>
> To clarify, yes  I am complaining about the uncompressed size..
>
> If no format change is made, perhaps it is a good idea to change to
> bzip2, which cuts more than half the size. (or custom pipe filters,
> which probably would be better)

I've made a quick test with 13 random savegames:

Method          Size(du)        User(time)
uncomp.         3814            0
gzip -6         458             0m2.690s
gzip -9         438             0m12.300s
bzip2           305             0m6.690s

That gives per savegame:

Method          Size            User time
gzip -6         12%             206ms
gzip -9         11%             946ms
bzip2            7%             514ms

Times are measured on a VCUFM (Very Common Used Freeciv Machine) [1]

What about a sensible method to get rid of old savegames,
e.g. rm *.sav.gz ? ;-)

Or write a script that keeps 3 savegames for each seed and deletes
everything else.

Christian

[1] K6 200Mhz

--