[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3516) Save files to large and redundant

To: admerik@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3516) Save files to large and redundant
From: "Raimar Falke" <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 00:03:18 -0800

On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 04:38:41PM -0800, Erik Johansson wrote:

> > If the program compresses them anyway, what does it matter?
>
> To clarify, yes  I am complaining about the uncompressed size..
>
> If no format change is made, perhaps it is a good idea to change to
> bzip2, which cuts more than half the size. (or custom pipe filters,
> which probably would be better)
>
> I just feel that it is horrendosly big, and as I said redundant. but
> perhaps I need to answer a couple of questions first
>
> * how the diffrent maps that differs (how much)
> * What other lists are to redundant?

AFAIK there is no redundancy in the savegames.

Q: Why are there so many maps?
A: Each map can only hold 4bit since we use a char in the range 0-9a-f
for the information except terrain which is encoded in another way. We
have to save terrain, specials (16bit), a bit field which player knows
this tile (32 players max -> 32bit). For each player we have to save
the last information this player has from this tile: terrain, special
and how old this information is (needed for shared vision).

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "Life is too short for reboots."