[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Diplomacy

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv Developers ML <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Diplomacy
From: Ross Wetmore <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 09:28:26 -0500

Can you (re)define contact as "overlapping ZOC" where in this case
ZOC has the broader interpretation that includes not just unit, but
a city's environs. I wouldn't mind seeing it extended further to
include naval vessels, but it does include a unit on a transport
by even the current limited rules, right?

The implication is that if you move adjacent to a city radius you
are in contact, or if two cities share a common tile.

I would prefer "Y" default to "0", i.e. you need to be "in contact"
to make contact, and that is made a bit easier by the above extension.
The server option is *definitely* a good thing, and thus the preference
is really only that, i.e. one point to be added to the balance scales
for the final decision.

Cheers,
RossW
=====

Per I. Mathisen wrote:
This is what I can do, a revised revised suggestion:
[...]
 - "Contact with X" is redefined as "one of your ground units have been
adjacent to one of player X's ground units the last Y turns". If you have
embassy or contact with a player, you can meet with him/her (this turn).

The possibility of meet through contact is regulated with a server option,
which defaults to 5 turns. -1 disables it.
[...]
  - Per