[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Diplomacy

To: Freeciv Developers ML <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Diplomacy
From: Davide Pagnin <nightmare@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 22 Feb 2003 17:46:29 +0100

On Wed, 2003-02-19 at 19:26, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Feb 2003, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> > I don't have time to implement all of this. The result is that nothing
> > will be done.

Hmm... I see... but many other time, you were in the opposite situation,
requiring other to comply to your suggestions...
Don't think that this is a point in favor of your proposal.

> This is what I can do, a revised revised suggestion:
>  - The "No Contact" status is removed from the list of treaties, since it
> doesn't play any role (it never did). Default will now be Neutral.

I continue to say that being "Neutral" to someone, means that you know
him.
My proposal is let "No Contact" stay and switch to Neutral automatically
when the first contact is made.
That is to say that "No contact" and "Neutral" are the SAME status, but
they have different name, in consideration of the fact that you never
meet the other player before.

>  - "Contact with X" is redefined as "one of your ground units have been
> adjacent to one of player X's ground units the last Y turns". If you have
> embassy or contact with a player, you can meet with him/her (this turn).
> The possibility of meet through contact is regulated with a server option,
> which defaults to 5 turns. -1 disables it.

On this we already agreed.
5 turns is an acceptable default.

>  - You can give away an embassy to the other player as part of the
> diplomatic meeting. The cost of doing this is set by a server variable,
> which defaults to the cost of a diplomat. Cost of -1 disables the feature.

The cost of a diplomat (i.e. 30 coin) isn't acceptable.
The default should be the same amount of coin you should pay if you want
to rush a diplomat in a city from scratch in one turn.

Provided this, I ask also that Embassy require (mandatory) the knowledge
of writing.
(This means that if you use a diplomat to build an embassy, but that
diplomat has been given to you by another player through a meeting, than
you should not be allowed to build the embassy, because your nation
don't understand what an "embassy" is.

>  - Shared vision requires an embassy.
>
> (Don't argue about default values, please. Those can be optimized later.)

The proposed default should be reasonable, at least.
So they are part of the discussion.